- Every hour of every day someone in the United States dies from melanoma
- Melanoma is one of the fastest growing cancers in the United States & worldwide
- Most melanoma is curable in the early stages with an over 90% survival rate
- Most cases of melanoma are caused by exposure to UV light and sunlight
- Melanoma can develop on anyone – no matter their age, gender, or race
- Tanning beds are classified in the same cancer risk category as tobacco, arsenic, and asbestos.
- Melanoma can develop almost anywhere, including the skin, eyes, digestive tract, genitals, under the nails, or even in the mouth.
- Melanoma can spread to the brain, liver, and lungs, making it very difficult to treat.
- Bob Marley died in 1981 of melanoma at the age of 36
- Check out this Fact Sheet from MRF
The Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF) is working to transform one of the deadliest cancers to one of the most treatable.
They suggest carefully examining your skin every month. Look for spots that seem unusual or are changing.
For more information, visit MRF’s website or contact them directly at:
MELANOMA RESEARCH FOUNDATION
1411 K Street NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20005
1-800-MRF-1290 OR 202-347-9675